Finding the Right Accounting Firm for Your Business
When it comes to managing your business finances, finding the right accounting firm is crucial. However, with so many options available, it can be difficult to know where to start. To help you find the right accounting firm for your business, we’ve put together a list of key criteria to consider.
When it comes to managing your business’s finances, finding the right accounting professional is crucial. One of the first decisions you’ll need to make is whether to work with an accounting firm or hire an accountant as an employee. Here’s a comparison between the two options, along with an Excel table outlining their differences for startups, SMEs, big companies, and public listed companies, as well as some crucial points to consider:
An accounting firm is a company that specializes in accounting and tax services. They typically have a team of accountants and other financial professionals who work together to provide services to their clients.
Hiring an accountant as an employee means bringing someone on board to work in-house for your company. This person will be responsible for managing all of your accounting needs, from bookkeeping to tax preparation.
Now let’s look at the Excel table outlining the differences between the two options for different types of companies:
|Public Listed Company
|Low to moderate
|Basic accounting services
|Basic accounting services, financial planning and analysis
|Full range of accounting and financial services
|Full range of accounting and financial services, regulatory compliance
Now, let’s look at some crucial points to consider:
- Cost: An accounting firm may be more expensive than hiring an accountant as an employee. However, it’s essential to consider the overall value you’ll receive for the cost.
- Services offered: Consider the specific services you need, and whether an accounting firm or an accountant employee can provide them.
- Flexibility: Hiring an accountant as an employee may offer more flexibility, as they are available on-site and can respond to immediate needs. An accounting firm may have more rigid processes in place.
- Expertise: Consider the level of expertise you need in your accounting professional. For example, if you need someone with specialist knowledge of tax law, an accounting firm may be a better option.
- Availability: Consider the availability of the accounting professional or firm. Will they be able to respond to your needs in a timely manner?
- Resources: Larger accounting firms may have more resources available to them, such as a wider range of software and tools.
- Accountability: Consider the level of accountability you require from your accounting professional or firm. This can include accuracy in financial reporting, compliance with regulations, and ethical behavior.
Finally, here are some examples of pricing for accounting services:
- Basic bookkeeping services from an accounting firm can start at $200-$300 per month.
- For financial planning and analysis services, an accounting firm may charge an hourly rate of $100-$300.
- For more extensive accounting services, such as audit and tax preparation, an accounting firm may charge a flat fee starting at $5,000-$10,000 per year.
- The cost of hiring an accountant as an employee will vary depending on their level of experience and the location of your business. According to Glassdoor, the average salary for an accountant in the US is $58,000 per year.
In conclusion, choosing between an accounting firm and an accountant employee depends on your specific needs and budget. It’s crucial to consider the crucial points outlined above and to shop around for pricing and services to find the best fit for your business.
When to use accounting firm VS accountant employee
Deciding whether to use an accounting firm or hire an accountant employee depends on several factors, including the size of your business, your budget, and your specific accounting needs.
Here are some situations where using an accounting firm may be more appropriate:
- Limited resources: If you have a small business or startup, you may not have the resources to hire a full-time accountant. An accounting firm can provide the services you need at a more affordable cost.
- Specialized expertise: If you have complex accounting needs that require specialized expertise, such as tax planning or forensic accounting, an accounting firm may be better equipped to provide those services.
- Scalability: As your business grows, your accounting needs may become more complex. An accounting firm can provide scalable services that can adapt to your changing needs.
On the other hand, hiring an accountant employee may be more appropriate in the following situations:
- Regular support: If you require ongoing accounting support and prefer to have someone in-house to manage your accounting needs, hiring an accountant employee may be a better option.
- Confidentiality: If you have sensitive financial information that you prefer to keep in-house, hiring an accountant employee may be more appropriate.
- Cost-effectiveness: If your accounting needs are simple and you have the resources to hire a full-time accountant, it may be more cost-effective to hire an employee rather than using an accounting firm.
Ultimately, the decision to use an accounting firm or hire an accountant employee depends on your business’s specific needs and resources. It’s important to carefully evaluate your options and consider factors such as cost, expertise, and scalability before making a decision.
Regarding prices, accounting firm fees vary depending on the size of the firm and the services provided. For example, a small accounting firm may charge $100-$300 per hour, while a larger firm may charge $300-$500 per hour. For accountant employee salaries, according to Payscale, the average salary for an accountant is around $55,000 per year, but can range from $40,000 to $80,000 depending on experience and location.
Ready to get started?
Are you a consultant? If you are a consultant and wish to contact us for any reason, we invite you to click the ‘Let’s Get in Touch’ button to connect with our team and receive the necessary assistance.
Do you need appropriate and objective advice? Please hit the Request for Proposal button to contact us and learn how we can be of help to you today.